Friday, March 16, 2012

Review: Spell Bound


Spell Bound
Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Poor Sophie! When we last saw her she had just been spit out of an Itineris and apparently into Brannick hands! Her magic is bound, her Dad is most likely dead, she’s hoping to find her Mom and figure out what to do from here.

But once Sophie starts to get a handle on everything she is sucked into a vortex and dumped back at Hex Hall. The school and the island seem to be dying and the Casnoff’s are in charge. The good news is that all of the students have been sucked back and Sophie must lay low and figure out what to do and where to go from here to stop the Casnoffs.

For the most part, this conclusion is pretty much what I expected with one exception, involving Sophie’s parents, but that was just a sidenote anyway. Otherwise, I’m not sure how I feel about this one. Spell Bound was as “un-put-down-able” as the previous Hex Hall books…but I guess I felt a little short changed on a couple of aspects.

So much talk about the Brannicks and the Eye. Brannicks are active in this book, but there was so much hype about them going into book 3 that they fell flat for me. Granted the plot twist in part 2 was good, put I had suspected it since Book 2. And the Eye was equally hyped but were a complete no-show in Spell Bound.

Another area where I felt short changed was the great conflict, Battle, we’d been building up to throughout the whole book and part of the previous one and it was over so quickly, which I found strange. Not that I am big on huge, drawn out battle sequences…but it was a bit anti-climactic.

And now for the love triangle. Spoiler Alert….scroll down to read.













I knew one of the boys was going to die. See that’s the thing with Love Triangles. No matter how much love the protagonist has for the two love interests…one has to die. Then the protagonist doesn’t have to make a choice and then deal with the self doubts of “did I pick the right person”…fate takes care of it for them. And the one that dies is usually the one that came on the scene second! Which doesn’t bode well for me on another series I am reading.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment