Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: Lover Avenged


Lover Avenged
Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Synopsis (Borrowing GoodRead’s): Caldwell, New York, has long been the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It's also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and owner of a notorious night club that caters to the rich and heavily armed. His shadowy reputation is exactly why he's approached to kill Wrath, the Blind King and leader of the Brotherhood.

Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood-even though his sister is married to a member, for he harbors a deadly secret that could make him a huge liability in their war against the lessers. As plots within and outside of the Brotherhood threaten to reveal the truth about Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world, Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him-and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.

My Thoughts: It’s been a very long time since I read a book from the Black Dagger Brotherhood. As I have progressed through this series the story has shifted considerably. With the first few books, the focus seemed to be more on the Brothers finding love…now the emphasis is definitely on the war with the Lessening Society. Honestly, I started reading the books more for the romance side of things. While the “war” has allowed the series to continue and keep it from boring…I do miss the emphasis on the romance. Or I did with this particular installment.

Because we really haven’t had a whole lot of interaction with Rehv and his crew, it was interesting to learn more about the sympath side of the Vampires. While the story does advance in huge leaps during this 500+ page book of very small print…the romance was sorely missed.

I also have to confess that I usually skim over the Lessening Society parts…unless there is a Brother involved…then I will read them.

Outside of a lack of romance I did enjoy Lover Avenged. The characters and backstory got a huge punch in the arm, story-wise. With the way this installment ended I’m wondering if we will see Rehv and Ehlena much in the future. I hope we do.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment