Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: The Unwanteds


The Unwanteds
The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The Unwanteds are the young people of Quill that show any signs of creativity…singing, drawing, acting, sculpting, writing, if you are caught doing any of it you will be unwanted!

At thirteen everyone goes to the purging ceremony. All thirteen year olds are put into one of three categories, “Wanted”, “Necessary”, and “Unwanted”. All the unwanted go to the death farm where they are to be dropped into a lake of boiling oil. Lovely, huh?

Without revealing too much, let me suffice it to say that the “Death Farm” is not what it seems!

This book is completely different from Lisa McMann’s other works. This is more of a middle grade adventure and it was a very fun, fast, and easy read for an adult. The galley I read had a preface from Ms. McMann that explained where the story came from. That alone was worth the price of admission for me. That glimpse into how an author’s mind works was fascinating because I have always wondered where author’s do come up with their ideas. I’m truly hoping that couple of pages she shares ends up in the finished product!!!

The story teaches some very important and timely lessons about the arts and their importance, as well as other life lessons like teamwork, honesty, and bullying…but does it without preaching. My son is anxious to read this one and I’m very happy to oblige! I’m sure he and many other boys and girls his age will enjoy this book as much as I did.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment