Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Nevermore


Nevermore
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



3.5 Stars!

Isobel (perky blonde cheerleader type) is horrified to find she has been paired with Varen (skinny, dark, goth type) for an BIG English project. Along the way Isobel’s quarterback boyfriend, Brad, becomes insanely jealous which only serves to push Isobel more towards Varen. Take the high school angst and pair that with dark and creepy Edgar Allen Poe, and you have this supernatural mystery involving ghosts, the dream realm, and boys fighting for the affection of said cheerleader.

I loved the Edgar Allen Poe aspect of this book. It presented a lot of information about Poe that I had never heard before and which prompted me to go and check out. I love a book that makes me think and research an aspect of the storyline. The author, a Poe scholar, really nailed the details surrounding his death and built a very interesting story around it. Now that she has laid the foundation, I am curious what she will build on it in the next book due out in 2012.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. Pretty fast read and I love “creepy” so it worked for me on that level. My complaint would be that the characters lacked depth, we never did learn much about any of them, kind of like they hatched fully formed the day the story began. But I was willing to overlook that in favor of the Poe aspects, this time. I’m hoping the next book will correct this and give us more background on the story’s main characters and less emphasis on Poe. Poe served his purpose by setting up the conflict in this book.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment