Sunday, September 4, 2011

Review: The Space Between


The Space Between
The Space Between by Alexandra Sokoloff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Anna Sullivan’s mom disappeared when she was five. Anna is being raised by her father who is suffering from Gulf War Syndrome and alcoholism. Anna is suddenly being plagued by very vivid dreams of violence taking place at her high school. The day after the first dream, the school has a fire just like the one she dreamed of the night before. More dreams, more violence, and in all of them Anna’s crush, Tyler dies. Anna is determined to figure out how to prevent the violence looming on the horizon.

This was a very dark read! I loved how Sokoloff incorporated Quantum Physics into the story in a way that was very easy for this layman to understand, which made the story richer. Multiple possibilities of many parallel universes reminded me of my favorite TV show, “Fringe”.

Sokoloff is able to suck the reader right into the story in a way that I could almost smell the smoke of the fire, and the fear of being discovered in my hiding spot. I felt Anna’s reluctance to get involved in all the weirdness, but her need to do the right thing and prevent tragedy.

The only reason I didn’t give this 5 stars is because there were too many loose ends and open ended questions. I’m not a fan of endings that are left open to my interpretation…I always wonder if maybe I missed something. I hate when I am left hanging like that. I would LOVE to see a sequel to this story where everything is resolved and all loose ends are tied up.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment