Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: Possession


Possession
Possession by Elana Johnson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Violet knows the rules and there are a lot of them. Vi lives in a dystopian society where the “Thinkers” tell everyone how to live, who to love, etc. Vi’s problem is that she is a “free thinker” and pretty much does what she wants.
Free thinking is what lands Vi in trouble and in jail. Locked in a cell with a very arrogant, yet good looking guy named Jag. They manage to break out and run for what they believe will be asylum and safety only there is no safety when the Head Thinker wants you to work for him!
Not sure where to start with this one! The reviews have not been stellar but the blurb really appealed to me so I jumped in. Turns out the reviews were right.
Reading it felt awkward and disjointed. Even though I read every word, I often didn’t understand what was going on. The constant need to call everyone “babe” was like nails on a chalkboard for me…but that’s a personal gripe. However, Jag crying multiple times was just too much for me. I like my book heroes to be strong…I don’t mind showing emotions, but boo-hooing is just stomach turning for me. And Vi, the female, who should have been showing some emotion, would have been nice if she showed any!
The ending was stellar! Talk about throwing me for a loop…that was the last thing I was expecting. I might be inclined to read the next book in the series if only to see what and how that ending is resolved.
For the most part this was a highly forgettable read for me. I notice that the reviews are highly polarized…seems to be a “love it” or “hate it” thing…For me it was meh!




View all my reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with ya! That's exactly how I felt when I read Possession. And the summary had sounded so interesting, that I was just disappointed when I got down to reading it. Thanks for the review!
Courtney
Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

Post a Comment