Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review: The Dead-Tossed Waves


The Dead-Tossed Waves
The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



"Dead-Tossed Waves" takes place several years after Mary has arrived at the coast. She is the mother of Gabrielle. They live in the Lighthouse and take care of any "Unconsecrated" that wash up on shore during high tide.

Gabry is unlike Mary. She doesn't have any desire to explore beyond the coastal town of Vista where they live. However, one night her best friend Cima and her brother, Catcher(whom Gabry has feelings for), convince her to go over the barrier and explore the old abandoned amusement park. Only to be attacked by a breaker and Catcher is infected.

Enter Elias and the "Soulers" who are a cult that worships the "Unconsecrated" for they are the resurrection. Elias helps Gabry to find where Catcher is hiding waiting to "return". But why is it taking so long?

I think I have to agree with the vast majority..."Dead-Tossed Waves" was better than "The Forest of Hands and Teeth". As I mentioned in the review for the first book of this series, I wasn't fond of Mary's complete and total selfishness. And some of it still resides in her. Granted age and maturity have improved her demeanor, but she still has a ways to go.

Gabry is a smart level-headed gal. In the beginning she is almost afraid of her own shadow but grows and challenges her fear. Unlike Mary, she can be a bit reckless in regards to her own safety when those she cares about are in danger.

Carrie Ryan has such a lyrical quality to her writing, painting very vivid pictures! Although I could have killed her quite easily at one point towards the end of the story. I know it was necessary...UGH, but the timing was just evil! I was captivated from the first page and Ryan really builds suspense...very hard to put down. Ryan very adeptly weaves in the characters from the previous book in a way I didn't see coming. Actually, most of the book I didn't see coming. Ryan is not a predictable writer! Which really makes me wonder where the third installment is going to take us. I have my suspicions, but if I've learned anything it's to not count chickens, or plotlines, until they have hatched.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment