Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: The Juliet Spell


The Juliet Spell
The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Miranda wants nothing more than to be cast as Juliet in the Community version of Romeo and Juliet. So much so that she casts a spell, after which, she finds a man dressed in Elizabethan garb, standing on her table. Turns out she has conjured Edmond Shakeshaft, who is actually William Shakespeare’s younger brother.

I was ok with suspending belief so Edmund could appear and help Juliet fulfill her wish to become Juliet, however it did take a turn towards the ridiculous at the end. I completely understand that Edmund was going to have to go back from whence he came, at some point…but the whole “I loaded a program on my cell phone” and send them back just seemed desperate. In fact the whole last 1/3 of the novel was just bizarre…Dad suddenly reappears, William Shakespeare suddenly appears, William and Edmund go into counseling, there is an attempted murder, what of these things just doesn’t belong? All of them.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment