Monday, September 26, 2011

Review: The Serpent's Coil


The Serpent's Coil
The Serpent's Coil by Christy Raedeke

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Oh My Word…This was SOOO Good! Dare I say I liked it even more than The Daykeeper’s Grimoire??

Serpent’s Coil picks up right where Grimoire left off. Caity’s Mom and Dad are on their way to San Francisco to deal with their house that burned down. And Caity needs to figure out where she is going to go to school now that they will be remaining in Scotland. She stumbles across a kind of “alternative” boarding school that focuses on what the student wants to learn about and they build a curriculum to fit…a real humanities based learning system. This would provide a means for Caity to get to China in search of Uncle Li. Now the trick is to convince Justine and her parents that Justine needs to go to this same school as well.

How did I love this book…let me count the ways. Ms. Raedeke created my dream school…I’d enroll today if there there were such a school and I could afford to go! LOL. Learning through travel, what a wonderful way to accomplish Caity’s goals! I loved that Justine was able to enroll alongside Caity. Justine was a great balance for Caity…especially when the author could have taken the romance route and had Alex go. That’s another thing I loved…you knew there was a budding romance between Caity and Alex but it was always in the background and didn’t compete with the tone or message of the book.

Once again Ms. Raedeke had me finishing the book and heading straight to the computer to research the some of the plotlines. If they were a total fabrication, she did a great job of convincing me it was legitimate…and if it was the real deal…then DAMN, that woman can research! Then she can take what she learns and build it into a completely engaging story that serves to educate the layman in plain English while not “dumbing it down”.

Ms Raedeke, once again, you have amazed me! So excited to see what you write next!!!




View all my reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a raving review. If you give this a 5 of 5 stars, it's GOT to be great. :)

Post a Comment