Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: Bared to You


Bared to You
Bared to You by Sylvia Day

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart.

My Thoughts: This is being marketed as the next “50 Shades of Grey”.
Sylvia Day is an established author with “New York Times Bestseller” attached to her name. So, of course, the writing is going to be better than “50”. But I can’t help but wonder, is this Ms. Day’s version of “50”? Meaning, is this something she would have written if “50” never saw the light of day? Or is she just trying to show EL James how it’s done? Be careful, when you draw comparisons…they may not, all, be pleasant.
We find out what happened in Eva’s life to make her the damaged person she is. We never did find out what happened to Gideon, although it’s hinted at in references to “consensual sex” and that he has nightmares about the house he grew up in. I think we can draw our own conclusions there.
Eva is a fully realized character for the most part. Granted the running away she does throughout the book gets a bit tiresome. At some point I would think she would act her age and face a challenge head on instead of running away. She seemed to face the horror she went through when she was younger better than she faces relationship challenges now as an adult.
Gideon, on the other hand, is pretty one-dimensional. But at least he seems more honest, blunt even. I just want to get to know him better.
The sex is raw and frequent…that is what brings these two people together. But Gideon tries to keep them together because they can be their “broken” selves together. They get each other. Ultimately, you know they will be paramount in fixing each other. So this, like “50” is becoming a story about redemption, and let’s face it…we all have something about ourselves that needs redeeming.
If you liked “50” you will enjoy this too. I will definitely be recommending to my “50” fans, as well as reading the next book in the “Crossfire” series.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment