Friday, December 9, 2011

Review: The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret


by Brian Selznick

published 1 March 2007

Scholastic

533 pages


Orphan Hugo Cabret lives in a wall. His secret home is etched out in the crevices of a busy Paris train station. Part-time clock keeper, part-time thief, he leads a life of quiet routine until he gets involved with an eccentric, bookish young girl and an angry old man who runs a toy booth in the station. The Invention of Hugo Cabret unfolds its cryptic, magical story in a format that blends elements of picture book, novel, graphic novel, and film. Caldecott Honor-winning author-illustrator Brian Selznick has fashioned an intricate puzzle story that binds the reader like a mesmerist's spell. (courtesy of goodreads)


I will begin this review my saying this books was...MAGICAL! It is the first middle grade book I have read since The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I am so glad I took the time to enjoy The Invention of Hugo Cabret! I was brought into the story not only through narration but the wonderful illustrations that helped bring it to life. It was an experience of multi-sensical joy! The whole time I was reading it I could see where a child would be captivated and on the edge of their seat wondering what would happen to Hugo Cabret next. A wonderful book for a 4th grader on up to read on their own or for a family to read together with younger children. There is magic, invention, suspense, joy, sadness, and strength...all qualities that make a book great! 5 STARS!!


1 comment:

Netherland said...

I was so impressed with this Author and book that I had to buy it for my library at home. I believe everyone will enjoy the illustrations as much as the book. What a creative and impressive Author Brian Selznick is.

Post a Comment