Sunday, December 11, 2011

Review: The Future of Us


The Future of Us
The Future of Us by Jay Asher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



think I've mentioned that I love me some time travel! This story wasn’t time travel is in the usual sense of the word, but I did enjoy almost as much. And I knew I would love it because Jay Asher’s name was attached. So thank you Mr. Asher for introducing me to Ms. Mackler!

It’s 1996 and Emma has just received a computer from her Dad. AOL is all the rage and Josh, her next door neighbor and former best friend, has just brought over a free trial CD his Mom got in the mail.

Emma loads the AOL, but when she initially logs in she is directed to a site called “Facebook”. The facebook page that comes up appears to be her’s 15 years in the future. And she is not happy about what she sees. Emma asks Josh about assuming it’s some sort of prank but he knows nothing about it. After poking around Facebook some Emma finds a page about Josh!

This wasn’t a true time travel story. Only glimpses into a future life that was on display on the walls of Facebook. Emma’s reaction to these glimpses is rather dramatic and she jumps to a lot of conclusions. I thought the author’s handled these views into the future really well and thought that Emma’s reactions, while extreme, were spot on for a 16yo girl. Josh tried to be Emma’s conscious and voice of reason.

I have to say that Emma struck me as terribly shallow...seemingly focusing only on outward appearances. But when I stopped and thought about what I was like at that same age and realized that was me too, I cut her some slack. Thankfully Emma does matured due to the experience. Josh, on the other hand, seemed more more mature from the outset, especially in how he handled the whole facebook issue and his feelings for Emma. Of the two, I would have much rather hung out with Josh.

Overall it was a great book and one I would recommend whole heartedly.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment