Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer


Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Sam doesn’t know it, but he’s a necromancer…can see and speak to the dead as well as raise them from the dead and make them do his bidding…but like I said, he doesn’t know it. Something or someone has been “cloaking” his power so he didn’t draw the attention of other supernaturals…specifically the necromancer that heads the Seattle Council!

I laughed through this book! Sam has all the snark and sarcasm I LOVE in a 17 year old boy. Correction, literary character. If my own son was that snarky and sarcastic with me, I’d probably sew his lips together. But I do so love to read it! This story just really went against the grain of the typical paranormal novel and the author did it beautifully!

The characters were all great and seemed to be much more fleshed out then the typical flunky/sidekick. If this were a play/movie, all the roles would be considered choice! It also appears that there will be more to this story…which thrills me no end. But this book didn’t read like it was part of a series. Necromancer had an ending, granted some ties were left loose for the reader to interpret, but more importantly I didn’t feel like I’d read the “back story” that sets up the coming books…which I hate! This was a complete novel that could easily stand alone, but the fact that there is more to come is WONDERFUL!

This book was also short listed for many awards when it came out in 2010…and for good reason. Lish McBride wrote a fun, acerbic story, beautifully and can’t wait to see where Sam and the gang go next!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment