Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Glow




My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Won a copy of "Glow" through FirstReads on www.goodreads.com!!

The story centers around Kieran and Waverly, the leaders of the first generation to be born out in space. They are on the ship Empyrean. One of two ships bound for New Earth. New Horizon left 43 years ago with mostly a christian contingent. Empyrean left a year later with a mostly secular group. Now New Horizon is hiding in a nebula, waiting to ambush Empyrean. But what could cause one ship to attack it’s sister ship?

This was a riveting story that I started and finished today...just couldn't put it down! The story is fast-paced with tons going on…especially on Empyrean where life is becoming a battle for survival. There were times I just had to put the book down and walk away for a breath of fresh air and hope my beating heart would return to it’s normal rhythm again.

The narrative shifts telling the story from both character's point of view which adds so much to this story because the author handles it beautifully. Ms. Ryan breaks the story up into parts where several chapters are told from the same character’s perspective. This added to the impossibility of actually putting the book down!

I loved all the delicious irony running through the story. The storyline twists and turns right up to the very last page. Parts of the book reminded me of “Lord of the Flies” while other parts reminded me of “Mockingjay”…political intrigue with the added twist of religious dogma…add to that the inability to tell the good guys from the bad guys…or are they all shades of grey? I guess it depends on your perspective.

I’m telling you…YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! And where will Amy Ryan take the story from here?? Oh…lots of questions!!!






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment