Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: A Beautiful Dark



My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was fortunate to be able to preview this title via netgalley.com

Skye’s parents died on her 6th birthday. So birthday’s aren’t Skye’s favorite day. On the evening of her 17th birthday, two boys, cousins, enter her life. Blond, blue-eyed, very reserved Devin and brooding, dark-haired, dark-eyed Asher…they are polar opposites and they are on Skye like “white on rice”. Along with these two strangers start a series of very strange events. Skye isn’t sure what is going on and who to believe.

I had such high hopes for this story but it fell far short of my expectations. The story developed very slowly which I found frustrating. The characters lacked any depth and I had no feelings for them in any way. Then once the story really started to take off and the reader was finally going to get some answers other than the pat “it’s complicated” we’ve heard up till then, the story ended. Talk about frustrating. I’m assuming a sequel is in the works but I don’t need to know what happens bad enough to spend time reading it.

The only part I did like was the new mythology the author created about the supernatural beings. That mythology provided so much potential, but the story just didn’t deliver.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment