Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Unearthly


Unearthly
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Clara has one quarter Angel blood running through her veins. Which means she has wings, Glory, oh…and a life’s purpose. Clara started seeing her “purpose” through visions while still living with her Mom and brother in California. Her vision led them to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Christian…the boy in her vision.

Clara is drawn to Christian like a moth to a flame, only as nice as he is, he only has eyes for Kay. That is until after the prom. Christian and Clara do become friends but it’s put on the back burner while Christian spends the summer in New York.

Clara knows the time is ripe for her vision to be fulfilled…but when she is faced with a choice, will she make the right one?

I do so enjoy the idea of Nephilim and the thought of them walking amongst us. And these angelic stories always grab my attention. The beauty of them is the ultimate in terms of the “good” and “bad” everyone has within themselves…evidenced in the choice Clara has to make.

This story was different than most because Clara knew what she was from the outset of the book as well as knowing she was created for her “life’s purpose”…the vision of what that purpose was didn’t come until later though. Hand does a wonderful job of pulling the reader into her vision of the story. Her storytelling is smooth and flows gracefully. I was totally absorbed and couldn’t wait to see what would happen next…and what happens next is usually something I was not expecting in the least. A couple of loose ends were tied at the end…but many more were left dangling!

I’m glad I didn’t read this until now…after that cliffhanger I don’t know what I would have done if I had to wait to see what would happen next…and I’ve been fortunate to receive a galley of the next book in the series. Can’t wait to dive into it.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment