Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: The Stolen


The Stolen
The Stolen by Celia Thomson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I’m going to be lazy and borrow the GoodReads synopsis for this one:
She argues with her mother. She occasionally skips class. And she alternately crushes on two totally different boys. But Chloe King is by no means your typical teenager. The girl can scale buildings and see in the dark. Sometimes, at night, she even likes to leap from rooftop to rooftop. Yes, Chloe has the instincts and ability of a cat. And that makes her unique indeed. It also makes her a wanted woman. Because the Order of the Tenth Blade does not deal kindly with people like Chloe. It stalks them. Preys upon them. And wants many of them -- like Chloe, for instance -- dead.

What brought me back to the Chloe King books was watching the series on Netflix. If you don’t know, the ABC Family channel brought this series to life for one season…it didn’t get picked up for a second and, of course, there was a cliffhanger. So, I was curious to see if that cliffhanger was in the book and what happened. It wasn’t…which was fine, I pretty much expected it, but I can’t say as I like where this book went.

I’m not a fan of this series…but I can’t quite pick out what it is that I don’t care for. I’m not sure if it’s the writing, the story, or a combination of the two. The characters are annoying in their whiney, “the whole world revolves around me” kind of way. Everyone just seems shallow and vapid which I expect from teenagers but not the adults. I forced my way through this book, but won’t be reading the third.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment