Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review: The Name of the Star


The Name of the Star
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Rory has enrolled in a London boarding school for her Senior year of high school because her parents are teaching in England for a year. Shortly after Rory's arrival, someone decides to start emulating the murders of Jack the Ripper. Between the fears and "Rippermania", Rory finds herself in the middle of the investigation due to an unusual ability Rory has recently acquired. Will they get the Ripper before the Ripper gets Rory?

Unlike my "Partner in Crime", Kristy Zee, I loved this book!! It was a page turning roller coaster ride...I felt the fear that was gripping Rory and the rest of the East End. And absolutely loved the little asides the author stuck in to add to the mystery of the ripper and how it was he was doing the deed...It had a bit of a "locked door" mystery feel to it. It was a very atmospheric read and I loved reading it at night with all the lights out, save my booklight.

I loved Rory and her family stories and laughed hysterically at most of them! They provided a much needed break from the tension, as well as did Jazza and her idiosyncracies! Whereas Stephen, Callum, and Boo provided the storyline for the second half of the book as well as, I believe, future books. I loved all the characters and thought they were well developed, there is still a lot more to learn about Stephen, Callum, and Boo...which I'm hoping will be done in the future.

As the mystery came to an end, I wondered what the author might build a future volume on...but then I read the last couple of pages and I believe I know now...which really peaked my curiousity! Can't wait to see where be go next!!!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

KristyZ said...

I can't believe how split we were on this book! SO odd for us! I gave it a 2 you gave it a 4...let's just split it at a 3! :)

Post a Comment