Friday, November 18, 2011

Review: Everneath


Everneath
Everneath by Brodi Ashton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Nikki disappeared one day…no word of warning, no goodbye. She reappeared just as mysteriously about 6 months later looking like a heroin junkie. While she told everyone she couldn’t remember what happened, she knew…but how do you tell your loved ones you just spent a century in the Everneath allowing shades to feed off your emotions? Now, she was only back because she couldn’t get Jack out of her head while in the Everneath. She’s only back for 6 months…she wants to make amends for disappearing so abruptly last time and say her goodbyes this time.

This one was different…very different. Story perspectives shifted from the present with a countdown “clock” to the past with a countdown clock…I wasn’t fond of it at first, but got used to it quick enough.

This is Brodi Ashton’s debut and it felt like a first book. The writing and rhythm was rough around the edges but the story was intriguing enough to keep you coming back…and it was Shakespearean in it’s tragedy.

Nikki is very sympathetic to the pain she caused everyone and would do anything to take it back. I felt my heart just breaking for her. Cole was both absolutely despicable and selfish, yet so in love with Nikki he couldn’t think straight…which made me sympathetic towards him and I hated him all the more for it. And Jack, poor Jack…he’d been to hell and back when Nikki disappeared and it made me want to bitch-slap her for doing it to him…regardless of her logic and circumstances.

As has become more the “norm” than the exception…this is the beginning of yet another series and I would be willing to bet I have a very good idea of what will happen in the next book….I think I need to make a spoilers page on the blog where I write down my predictions for what will happen next in a series and anyone who would like to, can discuss away. I’m going to have to check into that. In the meantime I will just have to wait and see how right or wrong I am.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment