Monday, December 17, 2012

Review: Sapphire Blue


Sapphire Blue
Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

My Thoughts: This series is not grabbing me like I thought it would. In my Ruby Red thoughts, I mentioned that I thought it took a long time for the story to really get going. That the first book was mostly backstory and I was really hoping the story would take off in Sapphire Blue. I felt like it sputtered and stalled.

First the "romance" between Gideon and Gwen didn't really go anywhere, if anything it showed Gideon to be very fickle. Which I found disappointing, he has absolutely no faith in Gwen. If I were Gwen I'd kick his ass to the curb and ignore him completely rather than pine away for him!

I did love Gwen's grandfather and the little gargoyle like creature Gwen picks up in her travels. Xemarius has some great snarky comments and wonderful insights if only Gwen would actually listen to him. Gwen's cousin continues to be the bane of her existence as does the Count/Baron, whatever he is.

Sadly, I'm not holding out much hope for Emerald Green, the third book in this trilogy. With 2 books worth of back story and build up, I'm afraid it won't live up to the hype. I guess I will just have to wait and see.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment