Saturday, December 1, 2012

Review: Hurt: A Novel


Hurt: A Novel
Hurt: A Novel by Travis Thrasher

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: His Rebellion Will Soon Turn to Hope When Chris Buckley first encountered the mysteries of creepy Solitary, North Carolina, he had little idea how far he would fall into the town’s shadows. After losing the love of his life, Chris tried to do things his way. He hunted answers. Then he gave up trying to find them. But now Chris comes back to Solitary knowing there’s a purpose for his being there. As he watches his place in a twisted and evil bloodline become clear, Chris waits for the last battle—and wonders who will be left when he finally makes his stand. The fourth and final book in the Solitary Tales shines light into deep darkness as Chris’s journey to Solitary comes to a dramatic close.

My Thoughts: I was so frustrated with this book...which in turn was frustrating! I really enjoyed the first 3 books and the novella of this series...but this final book was a letdown.

Over the previous books, the pace was heart pounding with tension continually building. So I was really looking forward to this, the final chapter. But, the story starts out very slowly and builds very slowly over a very long time. We are talking almost 500 pages here...with many tangents that did not further the story along and only succeeded in bogging it down further. THEN when we finally reach what has to be the culmination of all 4 books...it's over in a few pages and nothing really happened...at least nothing that came close to all the build up.

Can you tell I was bummed out? I was!

It's taken me a while to write my thoughts on this book. The sad part is that a week later all I can remember was how disappointed I was...not much of the story remains other than the (anti)climax. Thank goodness for notes and highlighting.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment