Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Wicked Appetite


Wicked Appetite
Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston’s North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down—and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn’t always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins. With delectable characters and non-stop thrills that have made Janet Evanovich a household name, Wicked Appetite will leave you hungry for more

My Thoughts: Oh My Word, this was a cute, funny, quick read.

I’ve seen some reviews where it is said this is just Stephanie Plum with a few alterations. I disagree. Yes it is written in her same quirky, funny style. What I liked about this story and characters over Stephanie Plum is that this is a bit softer and it has an element of paranormal. Plum is grittier and more “in your face” and after a while she turned me off.

I loved Diesel right from the start. He’s funny and very flirtatious. Izzie has a hard time dealing with all his pushy charm. She’s intimidated by him in so many ways. As much as she tries to be disgusted by all his macho-ness…she is turned on. And it’s so much fun to read how flustered she gets by him!

Izzie is sweet and is funny in a kind of bumbling way. She is kind of the straight man in this comedy team where Diesel is concerned, but the comedian when she is with her friends. There is also a monkey in the story, I assume to provide comic relief, but am not real clear on why he is there.

Now on the flip side there is Wulf. The obvious “bad guy”. He is described as “eerily handsome” which makes me wonder if there maybe another love triangle in future installments.

This series is based on the Seven Deadly Sins so there could conceivably be 7 or possibly 8 books in total. I hope they are all as fun and funny as the first one is. The second book was recently released and it’s synopsis is what prompted me to read Wicked Appetite. This is the consummate “beach read” for the summer!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment