Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: The Selection


The Selection
The Selection by Kiera Cass

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined

My Thoughts: This is the first book in a planned trilogy that has been described as “The Bachelor” meets “The Hunger Games”. This is not a true representation. It may describe the trilogy overall, but not this story. This is more, “every girl’s fantasy of being a Princess” meets “The Bachelor”

I loved this book, it had such incredibly sweet and tender moments between America and Maxon…like the television interview, and the “bet” about May. I loved that America was honest with just about all things. And the one thing she did hold back, was pretty necessary. I loved that the King and Queen had met through this process, did truly fall in love, and love each other still.

I loved America…I was rooting for America. She made a point going into the “competition” to be herself, and she was true to that. When she goofed, she apologized. She was honest with Maxon from the start. She became his friend…that’s when I knew she was a goner. She was able to show him life from her perspective, which was much closer to the bottom than the top…and she was able to do it in a manner that wasn’t patronizing. She is an “every girl”.

I loved Maxon…I’m rooting for him also! He saw something in America. That spark she has. Maybe it’s the fact that she is a fiery redhead, just like yours truly?? He came back for more even after she’d dressed him down and their first meeting. And came back yet again after a trip around the gardens didn’t turn out quite like planned. He was a goner from that first dressing down.

Not a fan of Aspen…He seemed almost obsessive and stalkerish. He treats America like a possession rather than a person. One thing he did, that I totally agreed with, was the whole getting America to apply for the Selection. I can see where that might have come up down the line in their lives had they still been together. I’m definitely on Team Maxon!

I really did love this little gem. I think I know where the rest of the series will go and may post my predictions at some point. But one thing I am certain of…I will be rereading The Selection many, many times!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment