Saturday, January 19, 2013

Review: Venom


Venom
Venom by Fiona Paul

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



GoodReads Synopsis: Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancĂ©, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancĂ©, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.

My Thoughts: I thought this was a supernatural story. I think it was the title of the series, "Secrets of the Eternal Rose", that put the idea in my head. It wasn't a paranormal story...murder mystery amongst the canals and graveyards of Renaissance Venice. We got to experience how the very wealthy lived as well as how the poor working class.

I liked Cass who was still reeling from the death of her parents. She's been foisted onto an elderly aunt whose nephew is soon coming of age and the Aunt's estate will default to him. So Cass will need to be married sooner rather than later and it's all been prearranged...oh joy. This is a girl who has no control of her life and she is desperate for some.

Cass is smart. She is dedicated to her friends and what she believes in. She is caring and treats everyone with concern and respect, including those paid to care for her. I love her rebellious streak! And she has one!

The story was a little slow getting going...we spent a little too much time on Renaissance Venice descriptions for me, but that info did come back as relevant later in the story to determine who the murderer was. I made a few predictions about how the story was going to go, that I am pleased to say I was wrong about.

There is the usual love triangle...that wasn't totally resolved in this book, so I will be on the lookout for the next installment and will be rooting for Luca. Overall it was a pleasantly enjoyable read.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment