Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Slave


Slave
Slave by Sherri Hayes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Going into this book, I thought it was going to be reminiscent of “50 Shades of Grey”…I couldn’t have been more wrong. It blew my expectations out of the water. While this was tough subject matter, the author could have easily gone the way of exploitation and titillation, but thankfully didn’t. The story is handled with delicacy and grace.

“Slave” takes the young, wealthy hero, who happens to be a Dominant between submissives, and puts him in the position to purchase a sex slave. Now Stephan is not into sexual slavery, but it’s obvious this is not something this young woman has chosen for herself. Since Stephan has the means, he buys Brianna from her Dom and takes her home in the hopes of helping her rebuild her life.

Stephan is one of those guys who wants to fix what is wrong with the world, and he literally puts his money where his mouth is. I absolutely loved him. Brianna, meanwhile, couldn’t be more broken. The reader sees things from her point of view, frequently, and the inner dialog she has with herself is fascinating. Little bits of her pre-slave days peek out a couple of times, but it’s mostly dialog from her broken psyche. It’s so sad. I loved that Stephan’s uncle, a doctor, thinks he knows what is best for Brianna. The Uncle knows about Stephan’s lifestyle and completely disapproves.

It so easy to live in a bubble and try to forget the fact that people are sold into slavery and are abused. Sadly, I’m sure that this story mild in comparison to some of the evil that exists in this world. Some of this story is very hard to read, but yet I couldn’t put the book down. It was only when my kindle battery died that I actually got some sleep last night…only to be late for work this morning because I had to see how it ended.

I am anxious to start the second book to see if Brianna is able to regain her independence…I suspect she will but what obstacles will she find and I wonder if we will ever find out how she was forced into sexual slavery.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment